Top Tips for Fighting Mold
Let’s face it; finding moldy food in your refrigerator is never pleasant. Not to worry though, mold on food is usually harmless as it can be easily spotted and thrown away immediately. However, invisible mold is much more dangerous as it floats around in the air we breathe and often goes unnoticed.
Mold survives by feeding on dead organic matter, such as bread and wallpaper. It can severely harm our health in the following ways:
- Some people and pets suffer with irritated eyes and lungs and a runny nose.
- Those with asthma and other respiratory diseases are likely to be severely affected by mold.
- Mold is known to cause nervous-system disorders and even depression.
- Mycotoxin is a chemical product produced by mold that is potentially deadly.
Common Hot Spots
Mold loves warm and humid objects and environments, including: bathrooms, wallpaper, ceilings, food, books, shower walls and even clothing. Rooms that have humidity levels of 70 per cent and above are particularly at risk. If your house or building smells musty, you might have a mold problem that needs dealing with.
Follow these prevention steps regularly to make sure it doesn’t come back:
- Apply an anti-mold solution containing bleach, vinegar or borax to porous surfaces.
- Invest in a dehumidifier to keep your air clean.
- Open windows regularly—especially when showering—to prevent rooms from becoming damp.
- Make sure the temperature of your house remains between 20 and 23 C.
- Verify that your clothes dryer has an anti-humidity vent to ensure your clothes dry completely.
- Repair any leaks as they attract mold.
Taking preventative measures to keep mold at bay will potentially save your home from becoming a health hazard.
Environmentally Friendly Clean-Up Services
Our experienced and certified environmental specialists are available around the clock to assess commercial or residential properties and determine the contamination levels.
Contact JAD Environmental Services
With 24/7 Emergency Support, you can count on JAD Environmental Services because our team of environmental specialists are always available to assess and remediate a contamination.